19 Oct

Coach Karin Gadberry and team

West Virginia University Institute of Technology’s volleyball team has partnered with softball coach Karin Gadberry to raise funds for the Side-Out Foundation. Gadberry has agreed to donate 10 inches of her hair to Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths program as part of the team’s fundraiser. The volleyball team will be selling raffle tickets for the chance to cut off Gadberry’s ponytail at the “Dig for the Cure” match against Mountain State University on Thursday, October 20 at 7:00 p.m.

“I’m really excited about the dig pink game this week!” said Jessica Shelter, Tech senior business management major and volleyball co-captain. “I’ve never had anyone close to me that had breast cancer, but I have been close to people who have cancer and I want to do anything I can to help the cause.”

The team hopes to raise at least $500. All funds raised from the raffle ticket sales will be donated to the Side-Out Foundation, an advocacy organization established in 2004, dedicated to making a significant and identifiable difference in the lives of breast cancer patients and their families by supporting clinical trials, increasing compassionate support services and educating communities.

Gadberry’s hair donation will be given to the Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths program, which makes wigs for women living with cancer. Local hair stylist, Meridith Neal, from Cut-N-Up has agreed to donate her services to assist with the event.

“It’s a very personal donation for me,” explained Gadberry. “I’m so pleased to once again have the opportunity to support this cause and raise awareness for breast cancer. I’m really proud of our ladies’ efforts to raise awareness on campus and funds for this important cause.”

Both volleyball teams will be sporting pink jerseys for Thursday’s event. Fans are also encouraged to wear pink for the event. Those interested in making a donation can do so online: http://www.side-out.org/application/ous/fundraising_page/45748.

Recent Articles

Archives